Chinese New Year has come and gone (almost), in a flash. This was done before CNY. I was still contemplating what type of goodies to bake. I came across Honey Joys when I was google-ing and had the easiest and quickest new year goody that I ever made.
Now I remember Honey Joys when I was young, I visited a friend’s house and was treated to it. I didn’t know the name then, just thought I like it and wished I could cart the whole box home. 🙂 I didn’t of course.
Honey Joys is quite easy to bake. Cost of ingredients are cheap too. Saw those CNY stalls selling it at of cos much mark up price.
There’s quite a number of recipes out there. Just google for honey joys and you will find lots. Some with sugar, some with honey, some with both. I prefer to use recipe that does not have sugar. Here goes:
Adapted from this site:
4 cups corn flakes
100gm butter or 120ml coconut oil
(I used 60gm unsalted butter and 60ml coconut oil)
2 to 3 tbsp honey
1. Melt butter (or coconut oil) with honey in a pot. Give a slight stir.
2. When liquid mixture is bubbling, switch off stove and pour corn flakes in. Stir and mix until all corn flakes are well coated.
3. Preheat oven at 150 degree.
4. Spoon corn flakes into mini cup cake liner on mini cupcake tray.
5. Sprinkle your desired sprinkles onto the Honey Joys.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool and store it when done.
1. Next time I will try with salted butter. Some saltiness should make it better.
2. If you have liquid mixture left after “spooning” all the corn flakes, you can put slightly more corn flakes into it and have more honey joys.
3. When storing in round containers and you are in need of liner for the in between layers, you can use regular muffin or regular cupcake liner. Just need to flatten it.